CTAC – Monthly Meeting Minutes – June 7, 2017
Meeting called to order @ 6:00 PM.
Members in attendance:
Tad Weinstein (West Haven), Chair
Peaches Quinn (New Haven), Vice Chair
George Alexander (Hamden), Treasurer
Johnes Ruta, (New Haven), Advisor, Acting Secretary
Ashley Sklar (New Haven Library System), Advisor
Laurel Coleman (West Haven), Advisor
Yvonne Manning-Jones (New Haven), Advisor – new member
Sharon Codeanne – Comcast Representative.
1. Introduction of new member Yvonne Manning-Jones, New Haven Mayoral Appointee. And introductions of all members to her. Yvonne has new Frontier FIOS (Fiber Optic) available in her West Haven area.
2. May Minutes – submitted by Johnes Ruta. Peaches Quinn makes Motion to accept. George Alexander Seconds the Motion to accept.
3. COMCAST Report — submitted by Sharon Codeanne..
- Comcast is a sponsor of the International Festival of Arts and Ideas in New Haven.
b. Comcast will sponsor Family Fun Day on Saturday, June 17th on the New Haven Green.
Free WiFi will be provided.
c. Comcast was a sponsor of the Urban League of Southern Connecticut’s 2017 Diversity Awards which was held this afternoon (June 7th).
d. These local high-school seniors were awarded Comcast Leaders & Achievers Scholarships
at an awards ceremony held last week at the State Capitol:
* Dante Frazer – Cooperative Arts & Humanities High School (West Haven).
* Brian Henderson – New Haven Academy.
* Anna-Allegra Ranelli – Wilbur Cross High School
* Judith Suffrard – Sacred Heart Academy (Hamden)
* Tytriq Woodson – Hillhouse High School
e. Marketing; Effective July 1, 2107, Esquire (channel 413) and Esquire HD (1413) will no longer be available because the programmer is ceasing operations.
Peaches Quinn asks question to Sharon – “Are there any Comcast programs targeted to older adults?
Sharon lists two programs in reply: 1, Urban League Digital Literate; 2. Internet Essentials for adults.
Sharon provides the name of the Comcast Community Relations Manager – Karen Perham-Liptman.
Sharon reports that Comcast’s applicaton for CT Statewide License to offer their services statewide has now been approved.
4. Frontier report – no representative from Frontier is present.
5. CTV Report – Joe Schoefield not present – no CTV Report available this month..
6. A volunteer is needed to fill CTAC post of Secretary. Johnes Ruta, has been taking the meeting Minutes as “Acting Secretary” volunteers to fill the post for the remainder of the annual term for calendar 2017. Accepted by CTAC Chair Tad, and council vote.
7. Video Contest status: The Applications and entry process are now live on the cableadvisor.org website.
Questions of contest criteria: Does the on-line entrant’s application comply with the rules ?
If NO- the application must be rejected and reapply. If YES – the video will be graded from 1 to 4, for each category and the content message, according to the Rules Rubric.
Peaches Quinn asks: “Can we put together a Procedures Manual ?” George Alexander: “Who will volunteer to “Chair” the Video Contest Application Review for approval. Tad volunteers Peaches. “Tad and Peaches should co-chair.”
Publicity: Who will write and distribute publicity for the Video Contest ? Johnes requests
talking / bullet points for a Publicity Release with which to put into announcement format.
Johnes will distribute to his curatorial email list. Ashley will distribute to the New Haven
Free Public Library email list. Peaches will contact the local Boards of Education; her contact there is Carlos Torres, a member of the Board. Also distribution to Hamden Weekly Newsletter,
CTV PSA, also a PSA to WTNH-8.
Laurel offers to produce paper Flyers for the Video Contest.
Contestants will contact videocontest at @cableadvisory.org
Peaches speculates that the time period of Video Contest entries of 60 seconds might be too long for an effective PSA. Discussion follows on the format of the PSA. George suggests a blurb:
“CTAC has decided to sponsor a video contest…”
End of CTAC Meeting decided. Johnes makes Motion to Adjourn. Peaches seconds the motion.
Meeting adjourned at 7:08 PM.
Minutes Submitted by Johnes Ruta, CTAC Acting Secretary, New Haven Rep #2